What is good governance?
Good governance is about the processes that are used by organisations or entities to make and implement decisions. It is not about making the “right” decision but is about ensuring that the best possible processes are followed in the decision making process.
Why is it important for sporting organisations to have good governance practices?
- Promotes confidence in the decision and the decision maker
- Leads to better decisions
- Leads to more ethical decisions
- Helps to ensure that legislative responsibilities are met
How can we help?
SportsLawyer offers a range of services to assist sporting bodies to understand and implement good governance practices. These services include:
- Preparing and presenting tailored seminars to a board of directors about good governance, and implementing good governance practices;
- Providing general and specific advice on legal duties of board members;
- General and specific advice on the application of the Associations Incorporations Act 1981 (Vic) and the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth);
- Reviewing and updating sporting constitutions;
- Advising on risk management strategies including drafting appropriate policies and procedures; and
- Providing general and specific advice on dispute resolution procedure.
If you’re in Melbourne, join us on 8th June to hear @Paulhorvath speak on good governance in Sport. Full details can be found on our website at